Reflections on motherhood...

Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Goodbye Miss Lily White

The star of My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, Miss Lily White, passed away peacefully on Monday evening, after a short battle with an unknown illness.  


Lily was a Lower Hutt foundling, rescued from a woman with pleurisy and a five o'clock shadow.  (Seriously. Pleurisy!  I thought it was some 1950s disease that no one got any more, since we now all have plenty of gumboots.)

Most likely to be found curled up in front of the fire (or in a box if you've left one lying around), Lily also loved to sit on your lap.  Every night of Milkbaby's gestation she slept next to me on the bed, curled somehow around my growing belly.


I thought we might have to play recordings of a cat purring to get Milkbaby to sleep after he was born.

Milkbaby was present at her death, and was completely oblivious to the emotion and high drama.  He shook my keys and pointed wildly at random things in the room, saying dah, did, doh, doh.  It was only fair, I said afterwards, since she was completely oblivious to the emotion and high drama at his birth.

Lily, relaxing in front of the fire at Milkbaby's birth
Well known for her unique appearance, Lily never let her short ears, skinny legs and bald stomach get her down.

Milkbaby: WTF?

Her gentle, quiet nature will be missed around here.

Goodbye Miss Lily White.

2 comments:

  1. Oh love. I am so sorry to hear that miss Lily has passed away... I know you suspected that it might be the case soon but it's always very hard when it happens. Guess the boys (my boys) will have to chase chickens next time we come.... Poor Lily she must have been so peeved when all these babies started showing up with their NOISE and fast little feet. Sending big virtual hugs to you xxx

    Love the new background by the way. Let's get together again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry, I know how much you loved her. Try not to sob too much, much love, A

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...